Big biz Experience: Pick n Pay; Foschini Group; Mr Price Group
Small biz Experience: Tourvest Group; Wellness Warehouse
Richard has worked with many well known retailers both locally in South Africa and internationally. He has experience in the food, clothing, accessories, jewellery, health products and hospitality industries.
He was responsible for operations and buying, as a director and shareholder with retailers such as Pick ‘n Pay, Foschini Group and the Mr Price Group (Galaxy Jewellers). In 2009 Richard sold his shares in Galaxy and started consulting.
Richard adds value to small and medium sized businesses; structuring them for growth, by developing a clear strategy that is operationally sound and understood through clear communication. His passion is aligning strategies, from operations through to budgets - with the ultimate goal of improving profitability.
Key Areas of Expertise
- Retail expertise across multiple brands, product categories and disciplines
- Improving a business' performance through research, analysis and the application of the appropriate marketing and business strategies
- Implementation of strategic plans throughout a clients business
- Understanding client culture and applying it to their business goals
Pick N Pay
- Led Hypermarket new store openings and management across SA, subsequently moved to head office as national clothing buyer and store opening co-ordinator. Winner of Executive of the year award.
Foschini Group (Fine Jewllery)
- Merchandising director for both American Swiss and Sterns stores, involved in buyout of Sterns and repositioned it to optimise the jewellery division of the Foschini Group. 20 years later these brands are still category leaders and key contributors towards the groups’ profit margins.
Mr Price Group ( Galaxy Jewellers)
- Managing Director of Galaxy Jewellers. Took business from 70 to 110 stores (sold manufacturing business and did management buyout from Mr Price Group) At your Service Logistics: Strategy and implementation to address cash flows and financial planning issues.
- Non-executive director. Strategic plans implemented to grow from a regional to national business, doubling both the footprint and subsequent turnover.
- Short term financial planning, restructuring financial controls to identify under performing assets and new FD recommended.